Applying for Scholarships and Aid
While we send financial aid information to everyone who applies to the University of Maine at Farmington, this section gives a broad overview of the financial aid process. For more specific information,
please visit the UMF Financial Aid Office’s own Web site (see Related Link).
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available from your high school, most public libraries, from the UMF Financial Aid Office, or fill it out online (see Related Link - FAFSA Online).
- The FAFSA is the only application you need to be considered for need-based aid at the University of Maine at Farmington. We do not require a Profile form or any other financial aid application in addition to the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA is required to apply for need-based, federal, state, and University aid at UMF as well as for subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans.
- You must enter the University of Maine at Farmington’s federal school code, 002040 on your FAFSA form.
Filing Online (see Related Link - FAFSA Online)
- If you file online you must first get a PIN number. The PIN info located is located right on the FAFSA homepage — you can't miss it.
- Separate PIN numbers are necessary for the student and the parent.
- Your PIN will be e-mailed to you within 1-5 days or snail-mailed within 7-10 days. With your PIN number in hand, you and a parent can then complete the online FAFSA. You can apply for a PIN any time of the year.
When to Apply
- Complete and submit the FAFSA on or after January 1, 2013 (for those planning to attend UMF in the 2013–2014 academic year).
- The FAFSA may be completed using estimated 2012 income information (prior to filing tax returns). Note: If estimated information is used, it must be revised once tax returns are completed.
- Priority for financial aid packaging at UMF will be given to those whose completed FAFSA is received at the federal processor by March 1, 2013 (for those planning to attend UMF in the 2013–2014 academic year).
If you have questions any time during the financial aid process, please contact us.
We truly want to help guide you through the process.
Financial Aid Office
University of Maine at Farmington
224 Main Street
Farmington, Maine 04938